Acne is like the petulant, disruptive child that makes you cringe—and you’re the poor parent
trying to calm him or her down. It can be embarrassing and no matter how hard you try to fight it or hide it, the issue won’t just disappear.
Even though your zits can be a nuisance, there are a few remedies out there that can help you get rid of them. If you’re struggling with this, feel free to take a look at some of our suggestions below.
1. Wash your face daily. Don’t just use any type of cleanser. Make sure it’s an oil-free face wash (preferably with salicylic acid). According to Cosmopolitan, a great product to use is Philosophy Clear Days Ahead Oil-Free Salicylic Acid Acne Treatment Cleanser, $20.
2. Cut out the stress. According to youbeauty.com, stress in the body causes your cortisol levels to increase. This triggers oil production and inflammation. This promotes the growth of P. acnes, the bacterium that causes pimples.
3. Cut out the junk food too! Foods high in sodium and fat (i.e. Chinese takeout, pizza, fast-food) only exacerbate pimples on your face, causing clogged pores.
4. Load up on the fruits and veggies instead, not only are these food healthy and do wonders for your body but they also promote healthy skin too. Clearacneclinic.com says it’s best to use a juicer so you can consume these fruits and vegetables in their purest form. Natural foods are the best way to go.
5. Switch out carbonated beverages for some good, old water. It’s best to avoid a ton of sugars, especially those in soda. This contains artificial sweeteners and other chemicals, which only add more toxins to your body. Water, on the other hand, helps to clear out your pores and allows the skin to detoxify itself.
6. Don’t overdo it on smoking and alcohol. Think about it, anything you put into your body has to come out somehow. Alcohol is a depressant and dehydrates your body. Let’s not even talk about all the chemicals and toxins that come from cigarettes. Any toxins that come with these things have to come out through your pores. Do you really want all that in your skin?
Keep in mind that not all acne can be prevented. For some people, when you exercise a lot or reside in an area with an extremely hot climate, different types of acne tend to surface. Some ways to alleviate the pimples include:
7. When you work out a lot, clean up at the gym. According to youbeauty.com, if sweat sits on your
skin for even 20 minutes, this can give rise to pimples. Yeast is a normal microorganism that thrives in damp conditions. So take an immediate shower at the gym (and be sure to use an oil-free cleanser with salicylic acid). If you don’t care for the gym’s shower, rush home and take a shower there.
8. Use a facial brush. This product, like the Olay Pro-X Advanced Cleansing System, helps to de-grease skin, leaving less oil and bacteria behind. According to Cosmopolitan.com, it also helps to loosen up clogged pores.
9. Don’t squeeze your pimples yourself. Yes, it can be extremely tempting But squeezing them can
push bacteria through the pore walls of surrounding skin, causing a bigger breakout. We recommends using benzoyl peroxide, which kills the bacteria. This reduces inflammation in skin, which will eventually cause your acne to fade away quickly.
10. When you’re at the beach, use mineral sunscreens. These are less likely to cause skin irritation. For sensitive skin, experts recommend using products with either zinc oxide, titanium dioxide or both minerals as active ingredients.
11. Use a retinoid. According to wikihow.com, these cleansers contain super-high levels of vitamin A, which help to clean out clogged pores and dissolve grime in the skin. You can either purchase these products over-the-counter or through a doctor’s prescription.
12. When in doubt, stick to home-based products. You can use products such as honey, baking soda, cucumbers and oatmeal to serve as spot treatments or exfoliation masks on the skin.